What have we done to lead the school this year so far?
– Made football and playground rules.
– Looked at prefects’ roles and responsibilities.
– Had a say in procedures and rules
What would you like to have a say in improving?
– Noise levels
– Wasting time
What’s going well just now?
– Football rules
– Staying off the pitch when asked
– Choosing time (infants)
– Agreements last time going well
Review Health and Wellbeing Week:
– Everyone enjoyed the week
– The favourite was Jammin’ Fitness then, Live N Learn then, P.E. for the infants.
– One class is enjoying their Creativity Books
For next year we would like to:
– Only have healthy cereals at breakfast and include porridge.
– Include relaxation and creativity
– Do run a mile every day
– Have more P.E.
What are the issues?
– Toilets – girls are wasting time in them, using soap and blue tac to make slime, wasting soap and putting it every where, putting water in the soap bootles.
Focus on learning:
– Children felt the school were really good at support pupils who need it
– All children felt they were being challenged with maths more
– Middle stages enjoy Writers’ Craft and feels this really helps them
– Children feel there are good examples of work around the school
– Like that we have more parent helpers now.
– Enjoying the new format for spelling – feel this is helping them do better
– Behaviour is good as is respect
– Prefects on duty to wear hi-vis bibs.
– Mrs Laird to talk to upper classes about the girls’ toilet problems.
– P6/7D to talk to teacher about not distracting others
– To keep a note of how much maths completed
– Mrs Laird to find out teachers’ plans for RME and how often Run a Mile is being completed
– Next meeting – to look at Education Scotland Awards together, to review ‘What Makes a Good Lesson’ and to ensure Twitter Wall is being completed by all.
Today we discussed the Learning Walk we had talked about doing. We agreed that Mrs Laird would speak to the other teachers about children joining staff on peer visits to look at a specific area of ‘What Makes a Good Lesson’ then we will come back together to evaluate together.
Following Mrs Laird’s discussion with various pupils this week, we concentrated on playground issues. We agreed various rules and came up with the following;
At our meeting today we were delighted to have Joshua helping us with the Vice Chairperson role which Shannon was at Bike Ability. He was a super support, ensuring everyone got heard and was helped to come to solutions.
Going well? – Good to be Green
Football keeps going into bushes – suggested cutting bushes back
People keep going on the pitch – mark out the pitch
Some children want harder work – HT to speak with teachers
Some people not letting you play at playtime – use of buddy bench discussed
Noisy cloakrooms – add signs to the cloakroom – remind of whispering in quiet areas
The older children then showed the younger children where the Twitter wall was and helped them add their comments to it. They also began pictures to refresh some of the ones on the school website.
At our meeting today we all met each other. We discussed how the Pupil Council is normally run and how this year might be slightly different as Mrs Laird would like us to help look at learning in the school.
We looked at the roles in a committee and then voted for our main members. We agreed:
Vice Chairperson: Shannon
Secretary: Constanza and Tessa
We then looked at’How Good is OUR school?’ with Mrs Laird. We discussed each of the five themes and agreed that ‘Our Health and Wellbeing’ and ‘Our Successes & Achievements’ could be looked at by the other citizenship groups. We therefore voted for which of the other themes to decide what we would start looking at:
Our relationships – 5 votes
Our learning and teaching – 7 votes
Our school and community – 4 votes
We looked briefly at what we could do to evaluate this and agreed that at our next meeting we would discuss how to do a ‘Learning Walk’ and agree what we were looking for.
Our Pupil Council members this year are:
P7 Shannon, Jacob, Katie-Anne, Constanza, Isabella
P6 Ivan, Finlay, Tessa
P4 Chloe, Dylan
P3 Aiden, Kai, Charlie